Friday, June 5, 2009

Like I didn't have enough going on already...

I apologize to those of you who may be reading this and feel that they deserve a phone call to learn the following…

I officially quit my job in Denver today and I’m moving to West Texas in July.

There are lots of reasons, but the main three are;
1) I have been offered a business proposition and a full time job that I feel are promising ventures (more on that at a later date)
2) I have fallen for a guy 650 miles away, and I feel that it’s important to see where things are headed in that department...which makes the job opportunities close to Midland particularly convenient!
3) Although I love the lab here, I do not love what I do at the lab here. When I weigh all the options, it isn’t enough to keep me from accepting other offers.

Things have all developed rather quickly! A family friend approached me with a business offer and I have decided that pursuing it would be a positive thing. Additionally, Medical Center Hospital in Odessa was looking to hire someone for their microbiology department. The position interested me because they're initiating their first DNA test for infectious disease and there’s room for advancement within the department. I like micro beause it's one of those sections that’s never short on tests to perform and analyze. I guess I’m mostly looking forward to being cross trained and multi-functional within the lab! Another bonus is that the hours are 6:30 – 3 which affords a good amount of time in the afternoons/evenings to take care of my responsibilities at the business.

Quitting my job at The Children's Hospital was incredibly difficult because this is a position that I hoped I would be happy at and stick with for at least a few years. I love the people here and I will miss them – but after weighing all my options I feel that I’ve made the right decision. It’s definitely the right thing for me, and ultimately I’m replaceable at the lab. I do feel badly about leaving them shorthanded until they find someone else, but I let them know as much in advance as I could.

While I’m excited about the upcoming changes, I’m also incredibly nervous - mostly because I’m a planner and life virtually never happens according to my plans. With everything that’s been going on lately I’m just about at my breaking point. My sanity comes from the fact that I’m taking these steps to make myself happy, but the thought of re-planning everything that I thought I had settled is overwhelming and intimidating. I’m trying to take things day by day. To be fair, I realize that life is generally what you make it. To a large extent these changes have come about due to my own choices. I have gotten some comfort in the midst of all my stress by realizing how naturally things have fallen into place to make these opportunities available. I’m thankful for my time here in CO and I’m excited to see what Texas holds. It’s hysterical – Midland is just about the last place on earth I ever thought I’d choose to be, but I’m genuinely excited!

5 comments:

Elizabeth & Chad said...

Yes well we all love you and support you so don't forget about that too!

Stacie said...

Thanks, babe :) I appreciate it!!

Unknown said...

hey girl i'm excited for you...it sounds like you're on a wild ride and in the end it will all be worth it...hope everything goes great and i'm still in lubbock so not too far away...miss you and congrats on the opprtunity!!!

Anonymous said...

You've got my support in the move back to TX. As long as you agree never to test my DNA(there are some scary genes in there)! On a random side note, this pass weekend I was pricked three times in atempt to get a blood sample and I was reminded about how you and Erica needed people to 'stick' for blood and I would never let you! Ahh, the good ole' days

Stacie said...

Alicia - I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon!

and Mary....I'm glad you didn't pass out. What a champ! All that practicing we did paid off - had I been drawing your blood, it would have been a one shot deal, woman ;)