Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mrs. Manning

If you went to high school in Greenwood, America, you can already tell that the content of this blog will involve one of two things; English literature or eyebrows. Mrs. Manning taught our AP english courses and was notorious for her eyebrows. Er - lack thereof - and her thick, drawn-on brow liner version of them. Sadly, part of me wished my life related to something about English literature today -- and I suppose in part it does. Prepare yourself for a tradgedy, friends.

I was in the mall and decided that I'd neglected parts of my personal routine a little too much this summer, and why not treat myself to a quick manicure and eyebrow wax? Between my Dad's 50th birthday party, a wedding, and various other social outings on the horizon, I figured a little attention to the details couldn't hurt....right?

Oooh, so wrong.

That tiny chinese grandmother stole my eyebrows. Okay, so truthfully she only stole 75% of my eyebrows - but for someone who has naturally blonde hair, the remaining 25% doesn't really show up all that well on its own. The result appears as a small line reaching from the inner corner of my eyes to just above my pupils....then.....nothing. I was so shocked that I left without getting the manicure to try and calm myself. I desperately attempted to determine what was within my power to improve the situation. I finally came to the conclusion that (against all hope) instant hair growth serum and/or time travel are not at my disposal to rectify things. However, eyeliner just might do the trick. I could pull a Mrs. Manning and color it in! Lots of people do that, right? It's either that, or buy a bottle of hair color and try to dye what's left of my eyebrows to a shade distinguishable against my skin.

If I could play out for you all the terrible scenarios that ran through my mind of how horribly that might turn out, you'd see why I immediately decided against the hair dye.

I retreated to the haven of my vehicle to test out the eyeliner hypothesis, but had forgotten that the temperature in Midland runs at about a thousand and seven degrees these days, and the eyeliner was melted. Matters were further complicated by the fact that the truck I'm driving around has a non-functional AC. I was forced to cut my errand-running short because really, who wants to go into the post office looking like a half-eyebrowed weirdo? Not me, thank you.

*sigh* Lesson learned. Vanity is a horrible thing, and humility is a difficult virtue to stomach!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've learned that lesson once. While watching my mom wax her eyebrows, I couldn't stop laughing at her when she literally took off half of one of her brows on accident. But they say "Pay backs a B****", and not a week later I did the same thing to my own eyebrow. We looked very cute the next weekend posing for pictures at a cousins wedding!