Monday, October 13, 2008

Flu Vaccine: Inhale or Inject?

Flu season is upon us, and it's time to start taking preventative measures to avoid being curled in a ball wishing you were dead for 7 solid days.

Today I received my flu vaccine for the first time via intranasal spray. Although studies last year suggested that the FluMist version was slightly more effective than the injection, no one can be sure if last year's data is predictive of this year's vaccine- since the targeted viruses change each year.

My selection came less by careful study of the statistics and more as an aversion of needles and a sore arm. Unfortunately, as the FluMist is a live virus, I discovered that the side effects can be a tad more invasive.

I spent my afternoon/evening on the couch, lightheaded and with a massive crushing headache. All things considered, I probably would have gone with the sore shoulder if I had the decision to make all over again.

My sister (the aspiring nurse) suggested that I 'stick to tradition and get the injection.....GET IT?? STICK to tradition!?' Some help she is. Drive your "empathetic" little ass up here and get me a cold compress!

No comments: