Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Halloween Costumes Rock

October contains the most monumentally amazing 31 days in the calendar year for multiple reasons.

- It's the epitome of fall. The temp. is no longer hot enough to melt your face off, but still warm enough that you don't wish you were indoors every time you step out. Not to sound too much like a tree hugging hippie, but the colors in nature are awesome. Then, of course, football's on all the time.

- My birthday is on the 22nd, which means 3 things. Cake, presents, and pumpkin parties. The firt two are undeniable perks for anyone who's reasonably sane. The third can be explored by a brief divergence to my childhood. My mother began 2 birthday traditions for me. 1) Make tootsie pops into ghosts to share at school (tissue, a marker, some ribbon and you're all set) and 2) Decorate miniature pumpkins at my party. I've kept the pumpkin party alive and whether it's just me and Steph or a big group of friends, I decorate a pumpkin every October. It's one of the highlights of my year. (Ranks up there with 4th of July fireworks, sparklers on new years, decorating Easter eggs and Christmas morning) This year it's looking like I might actually get a couple days of pumpkin fun. Can life get better? I submit that it can NOT!

- Dressing up for Halloween. I love coming up with Halloween costumes. As a kid I was afraid that you had to quit dressing up once you were an adult, but then came the memorable year that my parents both dressed as California Raisins and went out in public. Oh yes, friends. There is photo documentation from what seems to have been a reasonably unruly costume party.

This year, Halloween is going to be an especially great time for me, as it will be my first trip back to TEXAS! I'm so excited. Not only will it be halloween, but it's the weekend of the Tech Vs. Texas game in Lubbock. Wash your drinkin' pants, it's gonna be a good time! I'll have all kinds of friends and family in town for the game. I've been looking forward to this weekend since....oh....May-ish? I'm sure it will not disappoint. However, it is imperative that I have a kick-ass halloween costume. I'll have to try and outdo last year's Rainbow Brite.

So far, ideas include The leg lamp from A Christmas Story (original idea - awesome but incredibly random), Elastigirl from the Incredibles (could totally rock the hips), A gold medalist in the Sparkler Olympics (see entry), Little Bo Peep (awesome props...I'd bring a staff and some sort of sheep), and Alanis Morissette as God in Dogma (contingent upon me finding that awesome white plastic jacket she wore)

I need some more suggestions. Help, please!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.